This week, FierceCable discussed an Infonetics report on the 4 percent rise in global pay-TV set-top box revenue, with ARRIS remaining the global leader among vendors. Separately, FierceOnlineVideo discussed a research note from Needham & Company on the OTT market, including how ARRIS and others are using hardware- and cloud-based solutions to tackle the content discovery conundrum.
In other news, Rapid TV News shared data from Parks Associates revealing 46 million households worldwide will subscribe to an UltraHD pay-TV service by 2018.
According to Advanced Television, the global market for broadband CPE is set to expand by 1 USD.8 billion, representing the highest growth in revenues since 2010.
Finally, Digital TV Europe noted 37 percent of US broadband households regularly use transactional services to access OTT video.
Check back next week for the latest industry news.
1. Global set-top revenue up 4 percent in Q2 to 4 USD.8B, Infonetics says (Oct. 15) By Daniel Frankel, FierceCable: After revising its first quarter count down, Infonetics reported a 4 percent rise in global pay-TV set-top box revenue to 4 USD.8 billion during the second quarter of 2014.
2. Social media is key to monetizing online video, report says (Oct. 10) By Samantha Bookman, FierceOnlineVideo: Players in the online video space that want to make serious money need to focus on two key areas: creating or distributing premium video content, and making it easy for viewers to find that content. But in the short term, social media is one of the best ways to publicize videos--and maximize ad revenue.
3. Pay-TV due to launch 4K in a major way (Oct. 16) By Michelle Clancy, Rapid TV News: While significant obstacles remain to the 4K market, at least one researcher is bullish on its outlook: 46 million households worldwide will subscribe to an UltraHD pay-TV service by 2018, according to Parks Associates.
4. CPE market up 20% for 2014 (Oct. 15) By Staff, Advanced Television: The global market for broadband consumer premises equipment (CPE) will end 2014 with the highest growth in revenues since 2010, increasing by 20 percent from 2013 to reach nearly 11 USD billion, according to IHS Technology.
5. Almost two fifths of US broadband homes use transactional VoD (Oct. 10) By Staff, Digital TV Europe: Some 37% of US broadband households regularly use transactional services to access over-the-top (OTT) video – including online video rentals and downloads – according to Parks Associates.
Posted inAll Posts